Saturday, November 05, 2011

Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair --- Leeds

Today I went to Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair in the Corn Exchange in Leeds city centre.

I keep surprising myself with the things I will do that I could not do last year. Last year, I would have seen the poster, noted the name, looked at the website and desperately wanted to go. I would not have gone, last year. I would have been embarassed to go on my own, I would have been embarassed to take my large frame somewhere it might not be wanted. I would have been afraid of scorn and a room full of size 0 dresses and nothing else.

Thankfully, these days I talk myself into rather than out of events. I'm really glad I went. It was an interesting day out and I saw some really beautiful and inspiring pieces.

There was so much fur! I like fur and have no ethical problems with it. As far as I see if you eat it, why not be reasonable and use its whole body? Anyway, there were fur capes, vests, coats, shrugs, scarfs and collars. I have never seen so much fur.
Here are a few of my highlights:


Stripey  Maxi Dress ~ First XL item I saw. I got a bit excited. Not my type of dress, but I loved the print. As you may be able to tell I have found my camera, which is much better than my crappy phone camera.



Not plus sized, but I just loved it. There were quite a few sequined flapper dresses about, none of them plus sized unfortunately. I am on the look for a flapper dress as I think they are just beautiful.


Fell in love with this dress too. I love the vertical stripes, long sleeves, collar, knee length and the colour combination of black and olive. Gorgeous. Also tiny, but plenty inspiring.



There were quite a few 80s style oversized jumpers. Perfect for the plus sized among us. Also a lot of batwing and interesting colours and patterns. I loved these two the red and black is so my style and the blue is amazingly vibrant.


If this was an inch or so bigger they would have fit. Real shame as the record print is right up my street. They're also cullotte, which is pretty interesting.


Another stripey dress. I didn't realise I was so into vertical stripes until I looked at the pictures I taken today. I should so write a post about my love/hate relationship with stripes.



So many sequins, in so many fabulous colours. The sequins made me very happy.


This oversized striped (Stripes again!) black and white jumper is from Flock LDN. This looked like the only thing from their collection that would fit me, but everything was very beautiful. This jumper was only £12, which is great really as I would pay over double that on a site like ASOS. It is soft and warm. No doubt it'll come into high rotation over the winter.

Anyone else buy vintage? What is your best vintage/thrifted haul?

No comments:

Post a Comment