Sunday, January 13, 2013

Umberto Giannini Painted Lady Make-Up Palettes

I'll be the first to admit I am not the best candidate for beauty blogging. I can put on lipstick, foundation and mascara, anything further than that confuses and astounds me. This year I am trying to play with my make-up collection a bit more and I'd like to do a few reviews and swatches, which is what I am doing today.

I've been a fan of Umberto Giannini's hair products for quite a while now, they can be a little pricey, but recently they've been in Boots' sale. I cannot reccommend there "Backcomb in a Bottle" or "Rock 'n Roll Extreme Hairspray" enough, they are fab for making big, grunge hairstyles. While browsing their products on the Boots wesbite I saw that they have branched out into make-up, nail wraps and hair accessories. As seen before on this blog, I have a bit of a thing for Shakespeare, especially Ophelia, so when I saw that the two Painted Lady palettes were called Lady Beatrice and Lady Ophelia, well I think you can guess which one I chose!

Unfortunately, the palette I received was Lady Beatrice, so I returned it. This in its way was a stroke of luck as by this point these palettes were half price in the Boots sale going down from £8 to £4.

 [L-R: Lady Beatrice, Lady Ophelia]

Both palettes are solid, black, plastic and have lovely images of ladies with Umberto Giannini's signature glamourous, yet grungey look. Inside the palettes are 4 eyeshadows, 2 lip colours, 2 mini brushes and a butterfly stencil.

"The Umberto Giannini Painted Lady Beatrice and Ophelia Palettes have darkly smouldering eye and lip colours for grunge glamour with a limited edition butterfly stencil."

Lady Ophelia:


As you can see each of the eyshadows have little butterflies raised on them. None of the colours have names, so I'm going clockwise around for each swatch.


The top swatches are straight from the palette and the bottom ones are with Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base.

First swatch ~ a pale, beige shimmer
Second swatch ~ a slightly darkened olive shimmer
Third swatch ~ a reddish brown shimmer
Fourth swatch ~ a black packed with silver glitter
Lip swatch 1 ~ a light pink, with gold shimmer
Lip swatch 2 ~ a darkened red, with gold shimmer

Straight from the palette, I was a little disapointed, they colours are quite sheer and the sparkle which is quite clear in the palette is missing. These top swatches are with one sweep of the brush and the colour can be built up a little. With a good primer the colour comes out much better and seem to show the glitter in each colour a lot better too. The colours are very soft and seem to blend well.



Honestly, while I can see myself using the eyeshadows, I don't think I'll ever use the lip colours.

In this palette, they were stiff and quite hard to even get onto a brush. Then when applied to the lips they were horrible, sticky and quite uncomfortable, which is a shame as I quite like the colours even though they're a little sheer and not my usual style.

 Lady Beatrice:



First swatch ~ a pale cream shimmer 
(It is different from the first in the previous palette, much paler.)
Second swatch ~ a grey shimmer with a hint of green
Third swatch ~ a blackened purple shimmer
Fourth swatch ~ a black shimmer with silver glitter
(Very similar to the previous palette's black, but it is darker and more matte.)
Lip swatch 1~ a very light glittery pink
Lip swatch 2 ~ a subtley shimmery plum

I personally prefer the colours in the other palette, but the dark purple is very nice. Obviously, once again straight out of the palette they are very sheer, but can be bult up or strengthened with a primer. I know some people do prefer sheerer eyeshadow, but when the palette says it good for grunge looks you'd assume the colours would be quite strong and dark.



Strangely, in this palette the lip colours were much softer and easier to swatch. Both palettes were kept in the same place, so I'm sure one was not warmer than the other. Very odd, that they'd be so different. I wish I could say the formula was better in this palette too, but it wasn't. After swatching these my lips were so dry and uncomfortable I had to immediately find my lip balm and slather it on!

Overall, at the price that I bought them I'm okay with these palettes, but if I had bought them at full price (£8 each) then I'd be very disapointed. I like the eyeshadows, the colours are nic, soft and the colour can be easily brought out with an application of primer. Though I am never putting my lips through with those glosses again!

I'd probably not try any of Umberto Giannini's cosmetics at full price after this experience unless I read that the formulas have improved. I would like to try their nail wraps though.

My Verdict: 4.5/10. Would not repurchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment