Monday, March 18, 2013

Marvelous Mondays: Obviously A 1977 Original Punk Rock Look.

Welcome to the fourth installment of Marvelous Mondays, a weekly blog challenge between myself and three other fabulous fatshion bloggers. Make sure to go check out their outfits today, too! Links are at the bottom of the post.

Our philosophy: Monday is nobody’s favorite day of the week, but maybe its terrible reputation is a little undeserved. We’re on a mission to make ours (and hopefully yours) a little less awful by dressing marvelously!

This week’s theme: Inspired by a Fictional Character
I love this week's theme! I thought about it all week and I came up with a few options. I had an Alice in Wonderland outfit, a Sherlock Holmes look and even considered Daenerys Targaryen or Melisandre from the A Song of Ice and Fire book series.
Then it came to me. Who has green hair, wears kick ass electic clothes and has been a star of both a graphic novel and a 2001 movie?

Leather Waistcoat ~ New Look Inspire
Scribble T-Shirt ~ New Look Inspire
Leather Trousers ~ Geico via Gray & Osbourn
Boots ~ Doc Martens
Bracelets ~ eBay
Lipstick ~ Heart Hangover by MAC

Yep, that's right, I've been inspired by Enid Coleslaw of Ghost World!


Specifically, Enid after she dyes her hair green and dresses up like a punk. I'd have prefered if I had some white docs or creepers with this look, but I think I did pretty well. Also, originally I was going to wear red lipstick like Enid does at other points in the movie, but it looked really clownish on me, so back to my dark lippy roots.


This outfit was a lot of fun to put together and wear. I also really recommend at least checking out Ghost World the movie because it's brilliant, it had two of my favourite actresses, Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson, as cynical teenage weirdos trying to figure out life post-high school and stay entertained in their run of the mill town. It also has a wonderful part played by Steve Buscemi.


The graphic novel by Daniel Clowes is brilliant, all of his work is, but Ghost World really spoke to me as I first read it as an apathetic teenage misfit, but reading as I got older I could see even more layers in it and its definitely something I'll go back to every couple of years.


As sson as I dyed by hair green I went into my brother's room and told him "Its' obviously a 1977 original punk rock look." one of my favourite of Enid's lines.






Can't wait to see what the other Marvelous Monday ladies have come up with as this was a bit of a departure from our normal themes. I do like a bit of a conceptual or abstract look at clothing and fashion, so I hope that comes through this week.

Check out the other Marvelous Monday participants:



1 comment: