Monday, April 22, 2013

Marvelous Mondays: Inspired by Artwork

Welcome to the eighth instalment of Marvelous Mondays, a weekly blog challenge between myself and four other fabulous fatshion bloggers. Make sure to go check out their outfits today, too! Links are at the bottom of the post.


Our philosophy: Monday is nobody’s favorite day of the week, but maybe its terrible reputation is a little undeserved. We’re on a mission to make ours (and hopefully yours) a little less awful by dressing marvelously!


This week’s theme: Inspired by Artwork
 

Cobalt Blue Dress ~ ASOS Curve
Striped Long Sleeve T-Shirt ~ Marks & Spencers
Monet Waterlilies Scarf (worn as a belt) ~ Amazon
Denim Wedges ~ New Look
Mermaid Necklace ~ I Love Crafty
Artist's Palette Headband ~ The Libertarian at Rock n Rose
Lipstick ~ Hipster Ariel by Geek Chic Cosmetics    

I really liked the idea  of the outfit, but the art inspiration might be a little lost. I was inspired by Claude Monet's waterlily paintings, like the one on this scarf as well as sea scapes and aquatic paintings. 

I feel a little bad that I was so literal and just added an actual art print, but I am still ill and didn't sleep last night, so this is what you get.



I've never worn this scarf as a belt before though! I was actually inspired by Leah's obi belt, so I thought that the print adds some interest to an otherwise plain dress.


I bought this scarf here, but I remember mine being a little cheaper. I really want a van Gogh version as well as he is my favourite artist. I wish I would have made an outfit inspired by Starry Night, but unfortunately I don't have anything even remotely like it!


Do you want to know what a weird details geek I am? Well after I decided I would go for this acquatic theme, I thought well I'll add my new I Love Crafty mermaid necklace, this led to a series of aquatic additions.

Aquatic Items:

  • I Love Crafty Mermaid Necklace
  • Geek Chic Cosmetics "Over the Narrow Sea" eyeshadow
  •  OPI nail polish in "Mermaid Tears"
  • Geek Chic Cosmetics listick in "Hipster Ariel"
  • Waterlilies Scarf
I drew a lot from the Sea Gallery in Pwllheli, which is a gorgeous little art gallery stocked with work from local artists inspired by the sea which is only steps away!


I might be a little obsessed with mermaids and the sea, which is odd as I'm super terrified of open water. I just love seeing the ocean and my love of mermaids is a result of tumblr.

 My Inspiration Gallery:

Ian Norris




Dianne Metcalfe

And some I have no artist name for because they were not properly sourced on pinterest.




Hope you like it my interpretation! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment