Saturday, June 29, 2013

10 Day You Challenge: 4 Books

Four Books:


This one was very difficult so few choices and for someone who loves books as much as I do cutting the numbers down is so difficult!

  •  The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman
I've always been a big reader and love Neil Gaiman so when my oldest brother let me borrow his cool graphic novels as a young teen I went through them voraciously. Since then I've read them around once a year and each time they remain breath taking pieces of art and literature. The story is massive, the characters completely unique and the surreal is reality.

  • Moon Palace by Paul Auster
This book was lent to me by a good friend who I'm terrible at keeping in contact with. I left it lying around for ages, then when I picked it out I didn't sleep because I could not put it down. The story is about existentialism, writing, observation and hardships, it is mystifying, intriguing and all consuming. I laughed, cried and daydreamed my way though this book, it also introduced me to Paul Auster who is now one of my very favourite authors.
  • Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? By Jeanette Winterson
Semi-sequel to the fabulous Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, this book was written almost 20 years after that half autobiography/half fiction book came out. Why Be Happy is more fact based and is a very interesting look in Winterson's mind. This book is about Winterson's journey for identity, love, home and belonging as an adoptee as well as a lesbian and woman.
  • The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything by Sir Ken Robinson
 A non fiction book about creativity, the education system and the diversity of intelligence. I am a huge fan of Sir Ken, his TED Talk is pretty famous by now and his writing style is much like his speaking style, easy to access, entertaining and full of passion. The book is also full of interviews with people who found their passion and pursued it despite those in the education system trying to stifle them.

No comments:

Post a Comment