Friday, September 06, 2013

My New Obsession: ASOS Pinafore Dresses Review

 Pinafore or dungaree dresses have been around in straight size fashion for over a year now, so of course they are just starting to trickle into plus sizes. The first place I saw them was ASOS who now have five different styles of pinafore. As a pinafore obsessive I have tried all of them!

I thought I'd share my observations on size as they vary and you will probably need to size up differently with some of the dresses.


The first, Curve's acid wash denim dungaree dress has already appeared on this blog and is here on sale for £24 available in sizes UK 18-28.



Generally I buy ASOS dresses in a size 24 for comfort, but as this denim has no stretch I bought the 26. I could get into the 24 but it was too tight for my taste. As you can see there is some extra room in the chest, not too much that I mind, but enough so that people with larger chests don't need to worry too much.

If you like a more body conscious style then stay with your regular size, otherwise I would advise sizing up.



This pinafore dress is no longer available in the black version, but still on the site for £25 in khaki here available in sizes UK 20-28 (18 is out of stock as I write this post).

I missed this when it first came around and it went out of stock in black without me buying it. So stalked it and grabbed it up when one became available in 24, thanks whoever returned this! 


I saw this come in as a 24 and bought it praying it would have more stretch than the denim verions..... And it did! If you have a jersey asos dress it is built just like that in lovely stretchy material.

This is a boon in the sizing department because this size fits beautifully and is so comfortable. Yet the thick material of the other dresses gives them more structure, you have to mess around with the straps on this one a bit more, nothing too strenous, but I thought worth mentioning.


It would be nice if the skirt was more flared or skater in style, but its still a lovely dress and I think sticking a petticoat underneath it will kick up the volume nicely.

I would say stick to yoru regular ASOS dress size, heck I could have sized down if I prefered the bodycon look, but be assured this dress has a lovely amount of stretch. I would say the bottom part is very much comparable to the fit of the ASOS jersey skater skirts with elastic waists.





 This dress is a leatherette dress by a new plus brand for ASOS Alice & You and can be found here for £39 in sizes UK 18-26 (the 28 in unavailable at the time I write this). In these pictures I am wearing a size 26, I also ordered the 24, but could only just squeeze into it.


I want to love this dress so badly, but for me the fit is bizarre! The top gapes, but the bottom is so tight I can only just walk. I showed my mum and brother the top and they messed around with the straps so see if tightening it made it look better and it did slightly, but the whole thing is a mess on me and not a hot one. I could fit another person in the chest with me, the shape shown online made me think the bottom would be slightly a-line, but its more like a pencil skirt.

Perhaps this dress would better suit someone with a bigger chest and smaller stomach. I'm really disapointed with this one as if it was sized and shaped better it would be a knock out dress that I would never get rid of.


I don't even know what to suggest for sizing here apart from size up and hope you're the shape this dress is designed for. Great for those who actually have boobs unlike me, ha.


This dark wash denim pinafore dress can be found here for £38 available in sizes UK 18-28. 

I am wearing the 26 in these pictures, but I also ordered the 24 just in case. The 24 did fit well, but I tend to prefer a more relaxed look as that's what I am comfortable with. The material is not stretchy, but a lovely soft denim.



I'd say order your normal ASOS size if you like the fitted look, but if you're more into the relaxed, comfy feel then size up.

I apologise for the mobile pictures and how out of it I look, I don't feel very well, so I cut a corner or two.

Hope you enjoyed my reviews, not something I normally do, but this might be changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment